Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Future Tenses: Will / Going to

Future Tenses: Will / Going to
By NANI KUSMIYATI

Assalamualaikum wr wb,..

Hi everyone, Glad to see you again, I hope you are still happy to learn English.

Before you do the tasks, please watch the video on this link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTiT63K0KMo

To make you easier, I share the transcript of the video. If you don't understand I advise you to see google grandpa,...

Today we're going to talk about the future simple tense and the two main forms going to verses we'll

First, let's talk about going to.

The formula for going to is subject plus to be plus going to plus verb.

S + be going to + verb

This is used to talk about plans for the future

For example, tomorrow I am going to visit my grandma.

I is the subject, am is the form of to be, going to plus the base verb visit

Let's look at an example: he's going to travel to Costa Rica tomorrow

Here we use going to because this is a plan for the future.

Now let's talk about the will.

The formula for will is: subject + will + base verb

Will is used for decisions made at the moment

Let's look at an example

In this example, the boy is trying to decide what to wear

Hmm, what should I wear?

I know I will wear my orange shirts

Here, we use will because this is a decision made at the moment.

Will is also used to make predictions. Well, a girl goes to the fortune-teller so that she can predict her future.

The fortune-teller tells her in the future:   you will be married and have two children

Will is also used to make promises.  

Let's look at an example

In this example, the boy promises the girl: I will love you forever. Will you marry me?

The girl says, yes I will (because this is a decision that she made at the moment)

Will is also used to make offers

In this example, the girl offers to drive the boy home.

I will drive him home she says.

Now, please read and understand this theory below:

Future Tenses: Will / Going to

I will travel to Japan next year → decision

I am going to study German at school. -> a plan

Will/ Going To

The Simple Future has two different forms in English: "will" and "be going to."

Although the two forms can sometimes be used interchangeably, they often express two very different meanings as mentioned before. 

I will probably go to Italy next Summer.

I am going to fly to Italy next Saturday

Form Future Tense: Will

+ Affirmative: I will travel to Madrid in October.

? Interrogative: Will you travel by bus?

- Negative: I will not travel - won’t

Will you travel by train or by bus?

I won’t travel by bus I will probably travel by train.

Future Tense:  Uses of  Will

1- Instant decisions: Ok, I’ll see you on Friday

2- Predictions based in what we think: It will rain in the evening

3- Promises and offers: Don’t worry, I’ll go and buy some food for you

Form Future Tense: Going to

+ Affirmative: I am going to travel by plane.

? Interrogative: Are you going to travel? by plane’

- Negative: I am not going to travel by plane because I am going to fly in a hot air balloon

Future Tense: Uses of Going to
1- Future plans and intentions: I'm going to buy a new laptop computer next week

2- Predictions based on what we can see at the moment: Look at that car!  it is going to crash into the lamp post.

Future Tenses Time Expressions:
Tomorrow, next week, next month, next year,

I am going to travel to Copenhagen next year.

A. Complete the Sentences using Future Tenses “Will/ or Going to”.

1.   A : Why are you holding a piece of paper? B: I …………………….. (write) a letter to my friends back home in Texas.

2.  A: I'm about to fall asleep. I need to wake up! B: I (get)………………… you a cup of coffee. 

3.    I think he …………………. (be) the next British Prime Minister.

4.    We are so excited about our trip next month to France. We ………………………. (visit) Paris, Nice and Grenoble. 

B. Let’s put it into other practices. Now is it will or going to?


1. 
I’ve just scored another goal! We..................win this game. 
2.  I’m feeling blue. I think I .........stay at home tonight. 
3. Can you take care of the baby? No, sorry. I …………. study.
4. Oh, she …………. sneeze. 
5. Can you give me a hand? Ok. I ……wash the car.
6. I’ve put my boots on because I __________________ (wash) the car. 
7.  I _____________ (call) you when I get to the hotel
8. There’s someone at the door. I ___________ (go)!  
9. Have you got my keys?  Oh sorry, I _______________ (get) them now. 
10. I ____________ (call) you tomorrow, I promise! 
11. It’s really hot in here!  Oh! I ____________ (open) the window if you like. 
12. I bought this special shampoo because I _______________ (bath) the dog. 
13. How are you going to the station? Dave ___________________ ( give ) me a lift. 

Please pay attention to the explanation below:

I

am

 

 

 

going to

 

 

 

leave

 

 

 

at 8:00

He

 

is

She

It

We

 

are

You

They



No comments:

Post a Comment

NYANYIAN ALAM

  pexels-alex-azabache-3214944 NYANYIAN ALAM   Deburan ombak Desiran angin Gemerisik daun kering Berpadu indah menenangkan hati ...